GREAT News for Conditional Green Card Holders: Automatic 2-Year Extension is Now 4-Years

As processing times increase for Permanent Resident Card extensions, the former 2-year automatic extension wasn’t enough.

The pending cases with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) were piling up, leaving conditional Green Card holders waiting for answers. The wait times show no signs of decreasing, so last month, USCIS put new policies in place to increase the validity of Green Cards during the wait. In today’s newsletter, we’ll talk about who is affected by these updates and how to make sure you benefit from the new extension.

USCIS Automatically Extends Green Card Validity for 4 Years for Conditional Green Card Holders

On January 23, 2023, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced that USCIS would extend the validity of green cards for four years for conditional permanent residents who have filed to extend their permanent residency to a 10-year Green Card.

Who do these new extension policies apply to?

This new 4-year extension policy applies to any Conditional Green Card holders who have filed to extend their permanent residency to a 10-year Green Card. It also applies to investors who have Conditional Green Cards.

Why is this GREAT news?

Before this policy, USCIS would merely extend your resident status for 2 years after you filed to extend your permanent residency to a 10-year Green Card. Before a policy update in 2021, that extension was only 18 months.

Now, USCIS will automatically extend your resident status for 4 years. USCIS will start issuing 4-year extension receipts to new applicants and new extension receipts to existing applicants with pending petitions.

The receipt notices, paired with your expired green card, shall be evidence of your continued status in the USA while USCIS adjudicates your petition in full.

To prove that you are authorized to work in the U.S. or travel outside the U.S., you can use your expired green card and the USCIS receipt letter for up to 4 years from the expiration date on the front of your expired Green Card.

How can I get the 4-year extension?

The extension is automatic for qualifying applicants, so you do not need to do anything aside from filing on time. Make sure you contact us within 90 days of your initial two-year Green Card expiring so we can file the application on time.

Other Important News – H-1B Visa CAP season begins soon!

We will release a more detailed newsletter on the H-1B CAP very soon, but until then, please note that the 2023 CAP lottery will open March 1 and run until noon on March 17 (St. Patrick’s Day!). Danny Grace PLLC will be happy to provide consultations or assistance with preparing petitions with H-1B CAP petitions, and we offer flat fees to handle the entire application.

Please contact Danny Grace PLLC at (516) 748-9848 or to schedule a free case assessment.

About Danny Grace PLLC

Founded in 2012, Danny Grace PLLC is a boutique employment litigation and immigration practice located in Manhattan, New York. Trust the attorneys at Danny Grace PLLC for a successful outcome on all of your legal needs.

Our team is ready to help you with:


This newsletter is intended as general, useful information. Should you require legal advice from our team, please click here.